…can one phone call cause? Especially when the phone call wasn’t even to me!
I got home about 5.50 tonight (early!) and was busy getting The Girl’s dinner ready as she was off to Guides tonight and at about 6.10 the phone rang.
I heard The Girl pick it up, but as I was in the kitchen, I couldn’t see her, just heard her say “Hi dad”…”No, she’s not home from work yet”…”No, not usually but she may have been held up on the trains”…and then she went into her room and I couldn’t hear any more.
Just a tiny snippet of conversation but it really affected me – I had a whole range of emotions battling it out.
- Hurt: That this is the situation between me and her dad
- Guilt: That she is so aware that I hate it when I have to talk to him
- Surprise: That she would immediately do this without a second thought
- Pride: That she is emotionally mature enough to take control of the situation
- Concern: That she can lie so bloody easily!!
When she got off the phone to eat her dinner, I gave her a big hug and told her how much I loved her. She’s my baby and she cares about me, and although she can be a pain in the arse occasionally, she generally a really good, lovely and loving girl. I hope I’ll be as nice as her when I grow up 😉