“You came out of your mom looking like shit. She thought you were beautiful. Don’t know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment.”
Justin Halpern became a Twitter sensation when he started his account @shitmydadsays after moving back in with his parents after a failed relationship.
His dad is 73 years old (to Justin’s 28), retired and obviously very intelligent (he worked and lectured in nuclear medicine), and his insights into life in general are a joy to behold. He says what everyone else barely dares to think – and is a total potty-mouth with it (so don’t read it if an avalanche of swearwords offends you!)!
The book is extremely short (less than 200 pages) and s a lot of the pages taken up with random quotes, however, the real joy comes when Justin pads out the story behind where the quote came from and shows that his dad, far from being just a grumpy old man, is insightful, caring and obviously loves his family dearly.
We actually got the unabridged audiobook to listen to in the car on a long journey – and we were literally crying with laughter at some of the stories.
Funnily enough, last night I happened to stumble across an episode of what appears to be the TV show of it, and the dad is played by….wait for it…William Shatner?!?!?! No swearing appeared to be involved.
“Does anyone your age know how to comb their fucking hair? It looks like two squirrels crawled on their head and started fucking.”
“The dog is not bored, it’s a fucking dog. It’s not like he’s waiting for me to give him a fucking rubix cube. He’s a god damned dog.”
Just a normal girl
I recently turned 40 (eek - how did THAT happen?) I'm a Londoner - mother, lover and little kitty owner.
I do the normal London things. I'm really just pretty run-ofthe-mill!
Recently in my head
- londoners: the days & nights of london now – craig taylor
- before the party, almeida theatre
- “confessions” by the maydays, king’s place
- the lives of tao – wesley chu
- a strange inheritance
- broken – daniel clay (audiobook)
- when the devil drives – christopher brookmyre
- village kitchen, e17 (new menu launch)
- Theatre darling. Relatively Speaking :) (@ Wyndham's Theatre) 4sq.com/13IKkTQ 2 hours ago
- I'm listening to Heart of the Congos by The 2 Bears on #CloudPlayer amazon.co.uk/s/ref=cm_sw_r_… via @amazonmp3 3 hours ago
- apparently i'm in the doghouse. apparently I said "Wont be long" over 3 hrs ago. I don't remember that. *hic* @Kate_Bod @psimonk @MrMustard 1 day ago
- Andy has just accused me of "...sounding like Felicity Kendall quite a lot lately..." #wrong #notFelicity #twat 1 day ago
- RT @saveourcinema: Today's expected decision on the EMD has been delayed. The case has still not been fully processed and a decision will b… 1 day ago
- Scary man in Co-op demanded to know what nationality I was. Went off muttering unhappily when I replied "English mate!" 1 day ago
Been In My Head
Months in my head
Things people have said
Most viewed this week
- londoners: the days & nights of london now - craig taylor
- stella artois' black diamond - part 2
- marco pierre white ale & steakhouse, e1
- murder on the home front - molly lefebure (audiobook)
- afternoon tea at the montcalm
- afternoon tea, doubletree by hilton west end
- shows / gigs
- despicable me
- afternoon tea, podium restaurant, london hilton park lane
- foreign language films
- a strange inheritance