I am a massive wuss – and this is one of the reasons I never go to the doctors if I can help it. It makes me feel sick, knowing what my body may or may not be doing!
I am currently stuck indoors, with my leg up in the air, in pretty agonising pain!
Last night, I was at Camden station, and running for the tube as usual (I’m a Londoner – I will always run for the tube rather than wait the whole two minutes for the next one!!) and as I was running down the stairs, there was a woman with a pram (a personal hate of mine – people taking prams/pushchairs/kids in general on tubes during rush hour!). Anyway, I swerved round this woman and run across the platform.
As I was just about to get on the tube, it felt like someone had hit me in the back of the leg with a very hard rubber ball and there was an odd sensation like a twang…I looked back to see who had thrown something at me, but there was nothing there, and noone behind me, so I thought “That’s odd” and jumped on the tube.
That’s when the pain hit….OMG the pain!! I thought I was going to be sick, I overheated, started sweating profusely and had to take my coat off. And I couldn’t put my foot down flat.
When i got off at Euston to change onto the viccy line, I was wondering whether I should go and get a taxi home…but I’m poor and tight, and the thought of going up all the escalators, walking through the station to the taxi rank was making me cry, so I thought the best thing was to get to Walthamstow and get The Man to pick me up from the station. Which he did.
I was so sick when I got home, and I just couldn’t work out what I’d done. It hurt so much, and was confusing me. The Man said maybe I should go to A&E but I did my usual “We’ll see how it is in the morning, it might be better then!”.
I went on Facebook, and moaned, and a friend asked what I’d done and so I described it, 5 minutes later one of my best mates rang up. She was a nurse for years, and is now a fitness instructor, she said “Did you feel like you’d been hit in the calf with something?” “YES!”, “Did it then feel like an elastic band twanging?” “YES! How do you know?” “You’ve popped your calf muscle – classic textbook sensations”.
She did then tell me a bit about it, and that I needed to do calf stretches and it would take a few weeks to get better – but i couldn’t even consider stretching it at the time! And the internally bits, ewww…..sick!!
A little later I googled ‘popped calf muscle’ and this page was the first result back which again described the sensation exactly. I read a bit of it, but then had to stop – even thinking about it now makes me want to puke! The only words I remember are keep raised, pop, torn, internal bleeding….yuck.
Luckily I can work from home until middle of next week with no problems, so I can hobble around and make The Man run around after me. Even though he’s moaning about me ‘doing myself in’ at the moment, LOL. I want to go to the London Bloggers Meet on Wednesday though, so I’m hoping I’ll be hobbling a bit better by then!
Sympathy…gimme some sympathy!!!
Just a normal girl
I recently turned 40 (eek - how did THAT happen?) I'm a Londoner - mother, lover and little kitty owner.
I do the normal London things. I'm really just pretty run-ofthe-mill!
Recently in my head
- londoners: the days & nights of london now – craig taylor
- before the party, almeida theatre
- “confessions” by the maydays, king’s place
- the lives of tao – wesley chu
- a strange inheritance
- broken – daniel clay (audiobook)
- when the devil drives – christopher brookmyre
- village kitchen, e17 (new menu launch)
- I was in bed by 9 last night # rocknroll 4 hours ago
- RT @saveourcinema: UCKG appeal dismissed and planning permissions refused! WFCT plans show "more regenerative benefit". Great news! 21 hours ago
- Waiting for the Mexican wrestling to begin (@ Southwark Playhouse) [pic]: 4sq.com/12vdYtc 1 day ago
- Obviously the sign writers in St Austell don't take heed of their own warnings! twitpic.com/csd3a3 2 days ago
- Theatre darling. Relatively Speaking :) (@ Wyndham's Theatre) 4sq.com/13IKkTQ 2 days ago
- I'm listening to Heart of the Congos by The 2 Bears on #CloudPlayer amazon.co.uk/s/ref=cm_sw_r_… via @amazonmp3 2 days ago
- apparently i'm in the doghouse. apparently I said "Wont be long" over 3 hrs ago. I don't remember that. *hic* @Kate_Bod @psimonk @MrMustard 3 days ago
- Andy has just accused me of "...sounding like Felicity Kendall quite a lot lately..." #wrong #notFelicity #twat 3 days ago
- RT @saveourcinema: Today's expected decision on the EMD has been delayed. The case has still not been fully processed and a decision will b… 3 days ago
Been In My Head
Months in my head
Things people have said
Most viewed this week
- field day 2012
- afternoon tea, podium restaurant, london hilton park lane
- sixty-one nails - mike shevdon
- not such a little girl now
- murder in mumbai - k d calamur
- scared of the grown ups
- my broken baby
- foreign language films
- borgen, series 1 - denmark (first thoughts)
- afternoon tea, doubletree by hilton west end
- 2013 book list
- all around me are familiar faces...