playing on cotton clouds – michela o’brien
I had read a few great reviews of this book, and it sounded a nice nostalgic foray through the 80s to the present day, wrapped up in a big chick-lit bow.
We meet beautiful, confident Tara in the 80s, with Seth lusting after her. He eventually wins her over, but his time with her is over all too soon, as she moves on. He doesn’t move on though – even when Tara’s younger sister Livy finally manages to seduce him after secretly lusting after him for ages.
Seth’s best friend Aidan has always had a way with girls, but does that mean he’ll end up luckier in love than Seth himself?
There’s a great 80s backdrop to the start of the story, which moves on through the 90s and into the 00s as we follow mainly Livy & Seth’s lives. We see the whole gang mature, grow up, make mistakes, just live.
It was an easy read, with likeable characters. Occasionally I found the dialogue a little difficult, almost as if English wasn’t the author’s first language. Most of the time, it was absolutely fine, but on occasion I felt that it was a slightly unnatural.
I did enjoy the book, but felt that there was a kind of enevitability to it all – which I guess we often want from chick-lit. Perhaps I read it too close to the far more clever and challenging Twenty-Seven, but I just felt that there was some depth missing.
However, it would definitely amke a great beach read
I love comments and will generally answer any that are left - so please do leave one! Cancel reply
Just a normal girl
I recently turned 40 (eek - how did THAT happen?) I'm a Londoner - mother, lover and little kitty owner.
I do the normal London things. I'm really just pretty run-ofthe-mill!
Recently in my head
- The child's annoyed with ME as she's annoyed with all humanity.Apparently if bubonic plague broke out, it would be all her fault! #teendrama 6 hours ago
- RT @jaseellis: I concur :-) @exceptionalfood: Pig Good yfrog.com/j2mxkdtj #PantryChat 6 hours ago
- Came home from book club and told Andy that I have totally been put off getting married now. #allemmasfault @emmylouscutt ;) x 6 hours ago
- Ahem @goodwin71 they are selling Lyons Arctic Roll in the shop without a door. £1.60 ;) @Natdimaggio 7 hours ago
- Thanks for the messages etc about my blog post. Wasn't looking for sympathy xx. the nigella and saatchi thing bit.ly/11MytjQ 9 hours ago
- Is it wrong that it doesn't bother me that my daughter misbehaves as much as it bothers me that she can't hide her tracks? 10 hours ago
- The London Overground really is a playground for serial frotting. I love the line but in rush hour it's a nightmare #violated 11 hours ago
Been In My Head
Months in my head
Things people have said
Most viewed this week
- the nigella and saatchi thing
- afternoon tea, podium restaurant, london hilton park lane
- afternoon tea, doubletree by hilton west end
- afternoon tea at the montcalm
- not such a little girl now
- despicable me
- hakkasan, mayfair
- bright young things - scarlett thomas
- who hit me? erm...ouch!!!
- a strange inheritance