making life just that little bit sweeter
I mentioned in a previous post about the fantastic work that was happening at the St Mary’s Respite Centre and Pop-Up Canteen in Walthamstow for weary and hungry policemen
I went along Weds, Thurs, Fri and Sunday. I meant to go in on Monday & Tuesday this week (which was the last day it ran) but with everything that happened on Monday, I had actually just shut myself away and cried for two days solid!
I enjoyed every single minute that I was there – it was a fantastic opportunity to show the police how much the work that they do is appreciated, and to feel that we had managed to do something so good that it felt like it made up for the attrocities of the looters.
There was one two-hour stretch on Friday evening where we managed to serve about 250 hot meals to various police officers – including riot squad, dog unit and street pastors…the place was absolutely buzzing!
On Sunday, we put out a Tweet for more cake (police can get through a LOT of cake – as per this BBC article that our centre was mentioned in but not named). Every time a tweet for supplies was put out, we would get innundated with donations really quickly, so it came as a bit of a surprise when over an hour later we still hadn’t really received any cakes. It became obvious WHY pretty soon after that though – that was the time it had taken locals to BAKE the cakes!!
Oh no, no Mr Kiplings for OUR coppers, they get homemade lemon drizzle cake, malteaser cake, lemon polenta cake, apple muffins with fresh cream, blueberry muffins, aubergine cake, beautiful little cupcakes with E17 iced onto them. THAT was why there was a delay!
It’s been a totally uplifting experience – and I am in complete awe of the people who put so much work into it, rushing around handing out food and serving the police and generally giving a massive morale boost to everyone they came into contact with – so a special mention to Dean, Wifey, Frances, Jess, Faye, Carolyn, Mel, Ali, Ann-Marie, Amy and Hannah who were amazing! (I know I’ve probably missed someone important out, but I am emotionally-crippled at the moment, and I’m sure I will be let off!)
We also made the front page of the local Waltham Forest Guardian, which was nice!
And finally to just part of our amazing wall of thanks from the police.
I love comments and will generally answer any that are left - so please do leave one! Cancel reply
Just a normal girl
I recently turned 40 (eek - how did THAT happen?) I'm a Londoner - mother, lover and little kitty owner.
I do the normal London things. I'm really just pretty run-ofthe-mill!
Recently in my head
- londoners: the days & nights of london now – craig taylor
- before the party, almeida theatre
- “confessions” by the maydays, king’s place
- the lives of tao – wesley chu
- a strange inheritance
- broken – daniel clay (audiobook)
- when the devil drives – christopher brookmyre
- village kitchen, e17 (new menu launch)
- I was in bed by 9 last night # rocknroll 3 hours ago
- RT @saveourcinema: UCKG appeal dismissed and planning permissions refused! WFCT plans show "more regenerative benefit". Great news! 20 hours ago
- Waiting for the Mexican wrestling to begin (@ Southwark Playhouse) [pic]: 4sq.com/12vdYtc 1 day ago
- Obviously the sign writers in St Austell don't take heed of their own warnings! twitpic.com/csd3a3 1 day ago
- Theatre darling. Relatively Speaking :) (@ Wyndham's Theatre) 4sq.com/13IKkTQ 2 days ago
- I'm listening to Heart of the Congos by The 2 Bears on #CloudPlayer amazon.co.uk/s/ref=cm_sw_r_… via @amazonmp3 2 days ago
- apparently i'm in the doghouse. apparently I said "Wont be long" over 3 hrs ago. I don't remember that. *hic* @Kate_Bod @psimonk @MrMustard 3 days ago
- Andy has just accused me of "...sounding like Felicity Kendall quite a lot lately..." #wrong #notFelicity #twat 3 days ago
- RT @saveourcinema: Today's expected decision on the EMD has been delayed. The case has still not been fully processed and a decision will b… 3 days ago
Been In My Head
Months in my head
Things people have said
Most viewed this week
- field day 2012
- afternoon tea, podium restaurant, london hilton park lane
- sixty-one nails - mike shevdon
- not such a little girl now
- all around me are familiar faces...
- party on the pitch, leyton orient fc
- goodbye uncle dave
- my broken baby
- naughty men, or naughty women?
- witch hunt - syd moore
- 2013 book list
- afternoon tea at the montcalm