shit my dad says – justin halpern
“You came out of your mom looking like shit. She thought you were beautiful. Don’t know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment.”
Justin Halpern became a Twitter sensation when he started his account @shitmydadsays after moving back in with his parents after a failed relationship.
His dad is 73 years old (to Justin’s 28), retired and obviously very intelligent (he worked and lectured in nuclear medicine), and his insights into life in general are a joy to behold. He says what everyone else barely dares to think – and is a total potty-mouth with it (so don’t read it if an avalanche of swearwords offends you!)!
The book is extremely short (less than 200 pages) and s a lot of the pages taken up with random quotes, however, the real joy comes when Justin pads out the story behind where the quote came from and shows that his dad, far from being just a grumpy old man, is insightful, caring and obviously loves his family dearly.
We actually got the unabridged audiobook to listen to in the car on a long journey – and we were literally crying with laughter at some of the stories.
Funnily enough, last night I happened to stumble across an episode of what appears to be the TV show of it, and the dad is played by….wait for it…William Shatner?!?!?! No swearing appeared to be involved.
“Does anyone your age know how to comb their fucking hair? It looks like two squirrels crawled on their head and started fucking.”
“The dog is not bored, it’s a fucking dog. It’s not like he’s waiting for me to give him a fucking rubix cube. He’s a god damned dog.”
I love comments and will generally answer any that are left - so please do leave one! Cancel reply
Just a normal girl
I recently turned 40 (eek - how did THAT happen?) I'm a Londoner - mother, lover and little kitty owner.
I do the normal London things. I'm really just pretty run-ofthe-mill!
Recently in my head
- Reliving old memories :) (@ Wong Kei) 4sq.com/17neb8R 4 hours ago
- 4 of 5 stars to The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham bit.ly/102lDAI 11 hours ago
- Ugh! I so wish I liked Empire :( facebook.com/EmpireCinemasW… 13 hours ago
- The child's annoyed with ME as she's annoyed with all humanity.Apparently if bubonic plague broke out, it would be all her fault! #teendrama 1 day ago
- RT @jaseellis: I concur :-) @exceptionalfood: Pig Good yfrog.com/j2mxkdtj #PantryChat 1 day ago
- Came home from book club and told Andy that I have totally been put off getting married now. #allemmasfault @emmylouscutt ;) x 1 day ago
- Ahem @goodwin71 they are selling Lyons Arctic Roll in the shop without a door. £1.60 ;) @Natdimaggio 1 day ago
- Thanks for the messages etc about my blog post. Wasn't looking for sympathy xx. the nigella and saatchi thing bit.ly/11MytjQ 1 day ago
- Is it wrong that it doesn't bother me that my daughter misbehaves as much as it bothers me that she can't hide her tracks? 1 day ago
Been In My Head
Months in my head
Things people have said
Most viewed this week
- the nigella and saatchi thing
- afternoon tea, podium restaurant, london hilton park lane
- village kitchen, e17 (new menu launch)
- baby sensory group, walthamstow
- afternoon tea at the montcalm
- gin and tonic sorbet
- invitation to die - helen smith
- tasty fried wedding
- afternoon tea, waldorf hotel
- 0.4 - mike lancaster