as i was saying
I just remembered another story I had about ‘wrong texts’ as I blogged about yesterday, but this one is slightly different as it isn’t the fault of predictive text.
When I was about 18/19, my best mate used to work for the police (she wasn’t actually a cop), and her boyfriend at the time was a cop. This is before the time that everyone had a mobile phone (yes, I really am that old!) and he had a pager.
For anyone under the age of mumblety-numb if you had a pager, people could contact you by text which you got as a scrolling one-line – a bit like those crap LED advertising things. But you couldn’t just text it like you can now, you had to ring a premium rate number and tell the woman what you wanted to say and she would type it out for you and send it to the correct pager.
Anyway, my mate suddenly got rushed to hospital with severe appendicitis one day and her brother thought he’d better let her boyfriend know, so that he could come to the hospital. So he sent him a pager message “Gone to hospital. Please ring Jo’s dad”
She had her appendix out in an emergency op and was coming round when her boyfriend managed to see her. And he sat down on her bed, absolutely beside himself and asked her whether she knew how worried he’d been. She was very touched obviously, and then he showed her his pager.
The message read “Gone to hospital. Please ring Jo’s dead”
I love comments and will generally answer any that are left - so please do leave one! Cancel reply
Just a normal girl
I recently turned 40 (eek - how did THAT happen?) I'm a Londoner - mother, lover and little kitty owner.
I do the normal London things. I'm really just pretty run-ofthe-mill!
Recently in my head
- The child's annoyed with ME as she's annoyed with all humanity.Apparently if bubonic plague broke out, it would be all her fault! #teendrama 3 hours ago
- RT @jaseellis: I concur :-) @exceptionalfood: Pig Good yfrog.com/j2mxkdtj #PantryChat 3 hours ago
- Came home from book club and told Andy that I have totally been put off getting married now. #allemmasfault @emmylouscutt ;) x 3 hours ago
- Ahem @goodwin71 they are selling Lyons Arctic Roll in the shop without a door. £1.60 ;) @Natdimaggio 3 hours ago
- Thanks for the messages etc about my blog post. Wasn't looking for sympathy xx. the nigella and saatchi thing bit.ly/11MytjQ 5 hours ago
- Is it wrong that it doesn't bother me that my daughter misbehaves as much as it bothers me that she can't hide her tracks? 6 hours ago
- The London Overground really is a playground for serial frotting. I love the line but in rush hour it's a nightmare #violated 7 hours ago
Been In My Head
Months in my head
Things people have said
Most viewed this week
- the nigella and saatchi thing
- afternoon tea, podium restaurant, london hilton park lane
- afternoon tea, doubletree by hilton west end
- despicable me
- afternoon tea at the montcalm
- not such a little girl now
- hakkasan, mayfair
- bright young things - scarlett thomas
- who hit me? erm...ouch!!!
- a strange inheritance